From this interesting collection of statistics on how much stuff we own, I’ve picked out a handful:
- The average size of the American home has nearly tripled in size over the past 50 years.
- The average American woman owns 30 outfits—one for every day of the month. In 1930, that figure was nine.
- The average American family spends $1,700 on clothes annually.
- While the average American throws away 65 pounds of clothing per year.
- Americans spend more on shoes, jewelry, and watches ($100 billion) than on higher education.
All of these are backed up by links in the original article.